Mount Etna Tours and Etna Excursions
Mount Etna Summit Crater Trekking 3350m
Explore the highest active volcano in Europe with an experienced guide. After the cable car ride and the impressive hike to the summit, you can admire the fascinating beauty of Mount Etna and the surrounding area with its summit craters.
Etna Summit Trekking: Highlights
- Ride with the cable car and the Unimog 4x4 vehicle up to 3000 meters
- Trekking Tour through lava fields to the highest point possible on Mount Etna
- Enjoy the breath-taking view from 3350 meters
- English-speaking Guide
- Best trekking experience on Mount Etna
Trekking itinerary Etna summit craters:
Mount Etna is one of the most popular destinations for demanding hikers. The beauty of this spectacular terrain created by the forces of nature impresses everyone. Explore this unique landscape with our summit trekking tour.
After picking you up at your accommodation, you will reach the “Rifugio Sapienza Etna-South” with our comfortable vehicles. Already on the way, we will pass some beautiful Etna villages like Pedara and Nicolosi and you will see centuries-old lava fields. Once arrived at the Rifugio, the adventurous Trekking Summit Tour begins.
Due to the “skip-the-line-tickets” you will reach relaxed 2500 meters with the cable car. From this altitude your tour continues with the special Unimog vehicles to the summit area “Torre del Filosofo” at about 2920 meters.
The first stop will be at the active crater of the year 2002, overlooking the big and old caldera “Valle del Bove”. The trekking part of this adventure starts here and will take you up to 3350 meters – the highest point of Mount Etna.
On the way up, accompanied by an English speaking alpine guide, you will learn more about the volcano and its history and you will enjoy a unique view of the Ionian Sea. Now, you are in a moon-like environment, on the highest point of Sicily.
On the rim of the summit crater, you will see a unique black, yellow and smoking landscape. If you’re lucky, you’ll even hear the rumble of the volcano. Certainly, you will never forget this extraordinary feeling.
Afterwards we will descend on pyroclastic sand on the sides of the main crater and pass by the famous crater of the year 2001. After returning by cable car to Rifugio we will drive back to your accommodation.
Conditions of the offer: The tour is available from April until October. It is a group tour that will be offered only with a minimum of 5 participants.
Etna summit Trekking details
- Type of trekking Etna: ring (the same starting and ending point).
- Stages: Sapienza Refuge – craters 2002 – view Valle del Bove – summit craters – crater 2001 – back.
- Elevation: approximately + 500m, -1000m, over 12km.
- Travel time: approximately 7 hours, 09h00 – 16h00.
- Altitude: 1920m> 2500m by cable car, 2500m> 2920m by 4 × 4 bus and trek to Etna summit.
- Difficulty: Moderate.
- Recommended equipment: UV3 sunglasses, hiking shoes, gloves, hat, sunscreen, 3-layer clothing (for different temperatures during the tour), water and food.
Trekking Etna 3350 reserved for +12 years old (accompanied by parents)
The excursion to the summit crater zone is dangerous, forbidden to those with heart diseases and asthma.
The itineraries are subject to change depending on weather conditions and the geodynamic activity of the volcano, in addition to possible eruptive activity, the risk is represented by cold, thunderstorms, lightning and fog.
- Guide: During the tour an English-speaking guide will explain you the most interesting phenomena of the eruptive Volcano and will inform you about flora and fauna.
- What’s also included: Cable car ticket, “Unimog” 4×4 vehicle, 1 small bottle of water per person, equipment like trekking poles.
- Pickup service: In the area around of Taormina and Catania pick up and drop-off at your hotel, camping, pension, holiday house, railway station, port, etc. is included. Possibility to meet us at the highway exit (in case you travel with your own car).
- VULCANOLOGICAL GUIDE: Including competent Alpine / Vulcanological guide
- Trekking Shoes: Rental of trekking shoes upon request, cost EUR 5.00/pair
- Availability: We are open all year, except: 25.12 and 01.01
- Give this as a gift Gift this tour!
After purchasing the tour you will receive a gift certificate that can be used within 12 months
Prices & BookingNo hidden fees - All inclusive
Free cancellation up to 24 hours before activity starts
On request, with a supplement, it is possible to request pick-up service also outside of Catania / Taormina, for example: Syracuse, Noto, Messina, etc. Contact us for more information
This tour is also available in a PRIVATE version. Driver, guide and vehicle will be available exclusively for you. Contact us for more information
Meet the Team
Mount Etna Jeep Tour
Duration: 5/8 hours
Discover Europe’s largest volcano with our Etna Jeep Tour. During the off-road part with the Jeep as well as during the easy hike, you will explore old and new lava flows and craters, accompanied by an English-speaking guide.
Catania Street Food Tour
Duration: 2.5 hours
With the Catania Street Food tour, you will have the best combination of culinary delight and sightseeing. After the stops at the main spots in Catania, like the Piazza Duomo with its famous elephants-fountain and the Via Etnea, you will visit the word-renowned fish market with its Mediterranean atmosphere.