Etna and Taormina Tour – Etna Excursion
With the Etna & Taormina Tour you will explore the most active volcano in Europe, off-road in a jeep as well as during your hike close to the old lava fields with your English-speaking guide. You will spend the afternoon in the enchanting Sicilian city of Taormina.
Etna and Taormina Tour: Highlights
- Experience an off-road adventure with a 4x4 vehicle
- Take a hike along the old and new lava flows
- Equipped with helmets and flashlights you will explore a lava cave
- Enjoy a typical Sicilian lunch in a picturesque setting.
- Visit the famous Sicilian city – Taormina
- English-speaking guide
Are you ready for the perfect mix of adventure and culture? Discover one of the world’s most active volcanoes and the famous Sicilian city of Taormina with our Etna & Taormina Tour. We will pick you up at your accommodation with one of our off-road vehicles (including the popular Land Rover 110) and heading in the direction of the volcano.
We are passing idyllic Sicilian villages and some of Sicily’s most famous wine-growing regions and whilst gaining altitude, you will learn a lot about the country, the population and their culture. You will certainly remember the impressive play of colours of the black lava and the extraordinary vegetation on Mount Etna. As we pass by the lava flows of recent years, we will see centuries-old forests and we will stop at some of the most beautiful places on Mount Etna. During an easy hike of approx. 45 min. on the craters in the surrounding, you will see the unique landscape with the old and new lava.
Of course, a competent English-speaking guide will accompany you during this guided trip on Mount Etna and you will learn a lot about the history of the volcano with its myths and the current situation there. You will continue the adventurous jeep tour on an off-road track through the pine forests and you will get further insight into the unique and diverse flora and fauna which inhabits the lava rocks.
Like the speleologists, you will be equipped with helmets and flashlights to explore one of the famous lava caves on foot with your guide. These caves were created by a lava flow and they still have special properties. Centuries ago, residents close to Mount Etna used these caves for the ice production.
As one of the last stops of the Jeep part we will drive to the hardened lava flows, which destroyed the local ski lift during the last big eruption.
A typical Sicilian lunch awaits you in a mountain chalet on Mount Etna. With traditional antipasti, pasta of the season and a delicious dessert, accompanied by water, Sicilian wine and a good coffee you will get to know the local cuisine.
In the afternoon we will head to Taormina. During your free walking time (unguided) of approx. 1 hour you will have time to explore the historically rich town, founded 1300 b.c. by the Sicles and later affected by the Greeks and the Romans. Here you can visit the Greek-Roman amphitheatre, the dome, the piccolo teatro Odeon, Palazzo Corvaia and you can stroll along the famous Corso Umberto. On the main “piazza” you will have the most beautiful panoramic view over the Sicilian coastline.
After all these unforgettable impressions we will return to your accommodation.
- Guide: During the tour an English-speaking guide will explain you the most interesting phenomena of the eruptive Volcano and will inform you about plants and animals.
- Type of Excursion: Mixed off-road and hikings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Accessibility: Tours are easy and accessible to everyone.
- Recommendations: We recommend sturdy shoes, adequate clothes according to the weather, a bottle of water and do not forget your camera, of course!
- What’s also included: 1 small bottle of water per person included and if scheduled: equipment like trekking poles, helmet and torch
- Pickup service: In the area around of Taormina and Catania pick up and drop-off at your hotel, camping, pension, holiday house, railway station, port, etc. is included. Possibility to meet us at the highway exit (in case you travel with your own car).
- Children: Children under 12 years pay EUR 10.00 less. Upon request we can provide a child safety seat or booster seat (free)
- Trekking Shoes: Rental of trekking shoes upon request, cost EUR 5.00/pair
- Availability: We are open all year, except: 25.12 and 01.01
- Give this as a gift Gift this tour!
After purchasing the tour you will receive a gift certificate that can be used within 12 months
Prices & BookingNo hidden fees - All inclusive
Free cancellation up to 24 hours before activity starts
On request, with a supplement, it is possible to request pick-up service also outside of Catania / Taormina, for example: Syracuse, Noto, Messina, etc. Contact us for more information
This tour is also available in a PRIVATE version. Driver, guide and vehicle will be available exclusively for you. Contact us for more information
Meet the Team
Etna Emotion 3000 Tour
Duration: 8 hours
Experience an impressive ride with the cable car tour on Mount Etna with your English-speaking guide. Once arrived at the summit area, you will explore the craters and admire the beautiful view. Thereafter you will visit the lava cave and you will enjoy a Sicilian lunch.
Mount Etna Helicopter Tour
Duration: 1/2 hours
Helicopter Etna Tour: If you think you have seen all of Mount Etna, you haven’t seen anything until you have seen the view from the sky. After exploring the side slopes of Mount Etna you will see the heart of the volcano – the smoky main crater on the top with the black and yellow landscape and the grey ash clouds.