How to visit Mount Etna?
Mount Etna has become an almost obligatory tourist stop among the various historical and cultural attractions in Sicily. The mountain offers many different possibilities as there are numerous agencies that offer activities on the volcano: from tour operators with their all-inclusive packages to local agencies where you can book on time. It is also possible to visit Mount Etna independently, but the advantages of a guided excursion are very numerous.
Go-Etna offers organized excursions with professional guides in language. The paths studied by the Go-Etna team will allow you to explore the wonders of Etna, its lava caves, its volcanic craters discovering the mysteries and the curiosities of the highest active volcano in Europe.
Mount Etna Excursions
The recommended clothing to visit the Etna
The recommended clothing to visit the Etna varies according to the season. In the winter months, from December to March, heavy clothing is recommended, with jackets, gloves, hats and scarves. During the summer or spring season you can opt for comfortable sportswear, trousers and knitwear. Better always bring a jacket and sneakers.
Etna has an average temperature of 10 degrees Celsius. July is the hottest month, with an average temperature of 22 degrees Celsius, while in January and winter months temperatures can drop below freezing.
Etna Excursions: Discover volcano Etna on our exciting jeep tour
Daily Etna Tours to the highest volcano in Europe. We will pick you up at your accommodation in Sicily with our off-road vehicles (among others the popular Land Rover 110) and head in direction Mount Etna. During our adventurous, partially off-road, drive up to the volcano, we will cross old lava fields as well as hundred-years old forests. We will make several stops to visit some of the most beautiful sites on Mount Etna by foot, accompanied by our English-speaking guide at all time.
The half-day excursion includes an easy walk to the impressive “Monte Fontana” and a visit of the famous valley “Valle del Bove”. Wandering through old and new lava flows, walking on extinct craters and equipped with helmets and flashlights you will enjoy an unforgettable experience visiting a real lava cave, where ice was produced centuries ago.
Our English-speaking guide will show you the great variety of flora and fauna: plants and animals that populate our active volcano. While walking through ancient forests you will learn a lot about Mount Etna vegetation and wildlife. Our last stop of the half-day tour will be around the cold lava streams of Piano Provenzana, which has been destroyed during the last big eruption of 2002.
If you book a full day trip, you will have the same morning program as for the half-day tour but you will also enjoy typical Sicilian food at a chalet and visit the famous Alcantara Gorges, which were formed millions of years ago on the north side of the volcano. Between the cold lava flows runs a small mountain river. Here you can walk barefoot in the crystal clear and ice cold water of the canyon or (during summer) have a refreshing swim.
On the way to the canyon we will pass by the idyllic Sicilian mountain village Castiglione di Sicilia and from a distance, situated on a slope, we will see Motta Camastra.
At the end of the tour we will drive you back to your accommodation.
- Type of Excursion: Mixed off-road and hikings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Guide: During the tour an English-speaking guide will explain you the most interesting phenomena of the eruptive Volcano and will inform you about plants and animals.
- Accessibility: Tours are easy and accessible to everyone.
- Recommendations: We recommend sturdy shoes, adequate clothes according to the weather, bathing suit (if you have booked the full day tour and want to swim in Alcantara river)a bottle of water and do not forget your camera, of course!
- Children: Children under 12 years pay EUR 10.00 less. Upon request we can provide a child safety seat or booster seat (free)
- Pickup service: In the area around of Taormina and Catania pick up and drop-off at your hotel, camping, pension, holiday house, railway station, port, etc. is included. Possibility to meet us at the highway exit (in case you travel with your own car).
- What’s also included: Entrance fee to the Alcantara Gorges included (in full-day tour) 1 small bottle of water per person included and if scheduled: equipment like trekking poles, helmet and torch
- Trekking Shoes: Rental of trekking shoes upon request, cost EUR 5.00/pair
- Availability: We are open all year, except: 25.12 and 01.01
- Give this as a gift
Gift this tour!
After purchasing the tour you will receive a gift certificate that can be used within 12 months
Mount Etna 4×4 Tours: Prices & booking
Etna Excursions from Catania – Etna Excursions from Taormina
In the area of Catania and Taormina pickup and drop-off service at your hotel or private address.